Tuesday 25 September 2018

Methods of getting ahead in life



                              By Bayo Ogunmupe
    


 If there is only one life changing principle you need to stick to, it is this: Know thyself; be honest with yourself. In the last few months, I have been taxing myself with uncomfortable questions that demand answers which force me out of my comfort zone. To get myself back on track, I've had to answer some honest questions which helped me find the light in my darkest days. These questions are: Granted that life is what you desire from it, what do I want from life? What is it that is weighing me down that I don't actually need in my journey? What is it that  I already know which will immediately improve my life? And finally how can I respect myself through sticking to my goals and objectives?
     For the ambitious, these questions provide the introspection and self discovery necessary to face the nuggets of truth that can jumpstart you from your comfort zone and get you back to where you ought to be. Question one: What the hell do I want from life? The solution starts from answering this question correctly. Forget every thing for a moment- your family, your club, your world- and think of what you want, with nothing else involved. We are all in search for an alignment; an alignment of what we want to be and what we are actually are. And the further away these two realities are from your goal, the less contented you are with your life.
     Admit to yourself what you really want in life, even if no one else would agree that it is the right choice for you. But at the end of the day you are the one to suffer the odium of the situation. Your decision should be made to satisfy your existence, not another person's. Second, what baggage is holding you back that you don't need in your life? Your courage to say no, is all you need to propel you forward. A no at the right time can refocus your life, such a moment will redefine what you stand for and what you will accomplish. Many of us are convinced that life is long and that there are abundant opportunities in the world to do what we want. But this is wrong. 
     The more time you waste saying yes to every bulishit, the less time you have to accomplish what you love, what you want and what you need. Saying no isn't a crime. If you feel certain career choices are contributing to your regression, instead of growth; then you must say no next time you pick up the phone to answer your interlocutors. Three: What do I already know that will immediately improve my life? This question also forces you to reevaluate the life you are currently living. But instead of focusing on external factors holding you back; this addresses the internal wall that are stopping you from reaching  your potential. If you are not the person you want to be, some if not most of the blame belongs to you.
     The guidebook to the El Dorado you want in your life should always be in your head already. You just need to open it and read and follow its direction. Finally, how can I respect myself more today? The answer to this all important question is simple.You must respect yourself enough to make yourself a better person. If you respect yourself, you will protect your body harm, from injury and humiliation. If you respect yourself, you will take decisions with your own perseverance and long term happiness in view. Therefore from today, start honoring yourself, start respecting yourself. From now on start protecting the dignity that you deserve. Those changes will eventually convince you that you are better than yourself you saw in the mirror yesterday. And that you are worthy of the ideal version of you that lives in your head. Start boosting your self esteem by defending your dignity from today. May God go with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A CREED TO LIVE BY

Don't undermine your worth by comparing yourself with others. It is because we are different that each of us are special. Don'...